Last weekend, I got a copy of Wholphin, Dave Eggers’ latest project, along with the specially overpriced December/January issue of The Believer. It wasn’t as good as I expected, but it wasn’t a huge disappoitment either.
Patton Oswalt stares at you for five minutes – one of three possible menus on Wholphin #1
- Tatli Hayat with 5 different subtitles
- Spike Jonze’s Al Gore documentary
- Death of the Hen
Pretentious, but still okay
- The three DVD menus: the staring Patton Oswalt (evolves into an ultra-pretentious short film, if you leave it playing), the Hovercraft, and the backward-singing Dutch dude.
Too fucking pretentious
- Are You the Favorite Person of Anybody? – John C. Reilly is being completely wasted on this pretentious piece of shit.
- The Big Empty – Selma Blair is being completely wasted on this pretentious piece of shit.
- The Delicious
- The Writer
Didn’t bother to watch
- House in the Middle
- Soldier’s Pay (excerpt)
- Malek Khorshid
While watching the DVD, I got the impression that none of the materials on the DVD was created originally for Wholphin. Hopefully, the next issue, with original submissions, will be much better.